The project has been completely self-financed since the beginning of 2007 therefore the fees received from volunteers go directly towards environmental protection in Utila.
The jobs for the volunteers are very varied: public relations, environmental education, animal care, gardening, station maintenance and ecological research, are just a few examples.
A number of volunteers are students in biology or veterinary medicine but assistance from people with other skills are welcome and will be of great assistance. For example:
- carpenter (renovation work of the station or the cages)
- car mechanic (e.g. for our generators)
- electrician (e.g. installing 220V outlets)
- "media" (e.g. making flyer and writing tourist information)
- teacher (e.g. for environmental education in Utila´s schools)